Popular Posts

Saturday 6 July 2013

My life on the road as a woman!

Coming from South Africa and travelling various parts of Africa, the safety of women and children always come's up in discussions and is more often than not a concern for most.  Travelling as a family is very different from backpacking as a family.  With your entire existence in your backpack, your hat on your head, a map and your trusted feet and legs to take you to your destination, with the odd good deal and you get to take local transport of possibly even a taxi. 

The very first time I felt uneasy and felt I was always looking over my shoulder was whilst travelling through Venezuela.  I think the language barrier was a big contributing factor which I look back on now and laugh heartily about!  We never bought a Spanish dictionary before we left South Africa and on arrival at Caracas airport, there are no shops that sell dictionaries.  So there we were with our fingers in our ears for the first 2 hours.  But as I always now find myself saying.. faith does move mountains.  And there before my eyes, stood a person that spoke v e r y s l o w and basic English, from there on everything worked out as planned. 

A 10 minute walk in the searing humidity and hot sunshine to the local departures ticketing offices.  Each one a small cubicle with a no English, irritated looking person.  From there we hopped on a local bus which took us to a hotel on the one side of town.  From there a cab to the long distance bus station.  In between all of this driving and sight seeing, there are just hundreds of scooters and old style motor-cycles.  The drivers and passengers either wearing no helmets or cycling helmets...lol!  They add to the chaos, people everywhere, all busy with everyday life. 

At the station and there we waited in a pretty dirty, stuffy, loud and busy multi level 'spaza shop' style area.  Meat being cooked and sizzled in close proximity, stray dogs lazing about, others playing with eachother and some just watching the people go by.

Three hours pass and we finally board our luxury liner bus.  This was a welcomed relief to our tired bodies and over excited minds.  Our plan was working, we enjoyed a good nights sleep in comfy seats.  A 16 hour bus ride and we woke up to the most breath-taking views of the jungle, green and beautiful as far as my eyes could see, ahead, up and behind.

And there we pull up in the furthermost town of Guiria!  It felt like we were in a desert town, with no water, searing heat, dust, strange smells, some friendly people and others that really made me feel uneasy.  This is where Joshua and I stayed in the hotel most of the time, where we viewed from the safer place.  This was our own choice as we are aware of the human trafficking concerns across the world.

It was a welcomed relief to board the ferry for Trinidad.  There we were welcomed and assisted along the way by local people and officials.  We walked along the main street at eight in the evening and sleep soundly for the night.  Leaving Trinidad posed to be a bit difficult with all the searching of travelers but it's their process, we complied and we then took another three flights until we landed on the Island of Grenada.

This is where we are currently visiting whilst sailing the Caribbean.  Here I felt instantly at ease when we entered the airport.  Immigration and customs officials were all helpful and eager to give you assistance.

Here I am able to catch a local taxi from one side of the island to the other, by myself, with no worried.  That is for me, amazing.  How many of you catch local transport in your city?  I can visit the beach with Joshua and not have to watch over my shoulder in fear of being robbed or raped.  Here I can walk through the bush from one bay to the next by myself. 

This Spice Island, Grenada is a wonderful destination for travelling families, for those of you who prefer to take the road less travelled, for those of you wanting a taste of the Caribbean way of life.

Our life is now a journey, in Crocs, with a backpack each and a whole lot of faith and courage.  This journey we take together, Barry, Joshua and myself, in my heart and soul...Kaelah, Christine and you, no matter where you are in the world :-)

I wish you a magical day!

Blu








No comments:

Post a Comment