Popular Posts

Wednesday 8 January 2014

Fears, Tears and Kayaking!

Please let me clarify before continuing any further.  When we departed South Africa, destination - the Caribbean, I was totally afraid of water, big expanses of water, like the sea for example.  I never went close to water, never offered to climb into water for any reason, not even to take a look at my reflection.

I was totally aware of my fear of water when departing so by the time we arrived I was overly aware of the fact that we had just crossed over large expanses of water, via aeroplane and ferry.  Both being pretty okay.  The ferry ride was my first experience climbing onto a large vessel and setting off into the wide blue yonder.  I felt a little better as it was a pretty large vessel in my books.  The weather was perfect so the 3 hour journey was great.

We were on the island Grenada, surrounded by water.  I am backpacking on water! I never for one moment thought how I was going to get from land to boat, boat to boat, boat to island and boat to land.  On land we rely on 2 wheels, 3 wheels and 4 wheels for your general getting about.  So when living on water, your mode of transport changes dramatically and ta-da, you now have dingy's, kayaks, paddle boards, sailing dingy's.  mmmmm.... fear of water, now I am having to live on and in and around water!.  'I must be crazy", I say to myself quietly.

So we get to Lower Woburn Bay in Grenada and it's time to move onto the boat.  First step is to get onto a tiny dingy with our backpacks and food shopping.  Never mind that, the water is NOT the magical blue you see in the travel magazines.  It's a dark green with a touch of brown from the Rum Factory in Woburn.  The water is choppy and the wind is up.  Immediately I am very aware of this uneasy feeling in my tummy and in my head.  Anyway, with Barry close and the smile on Joshua's face, I realised it was time to give that fear the middle finger!

Mode of transport number 1:  A single man river kayak.  Bright yellow.  It's time for us to go to the beach, we are unpacked and ready to go.  The 3 of us must get onto this kayak without falling into the water.  Let me again remind you that I had never done anything like this before.  First you have to hoist your leg over the railing, then step right down onto the kayak, get your balance and then sit quickly.  Barry of course has no issues with this exercise, Joshua just has no fears which I am so grateful for, then you have me, a short 'arse'.  Of course when I find something funny I giggle.  This was funny and so I giggled!!  Didn't land in the water, made it to the beach and back to the boat with no hassles.

Our second mode of transport was a wooden dingy.  Oh my hat!  It was like a nut shell in water.  If you sit wrong, or you stand up too soon or simply loose your balance you WILL end up in the water.  Still not any closer to getting into the water so I do everything it takes to ensure that I don't.  Sit correctly, stand when the time is right, don't overload etc etc.  We had a hilarious dingy accident at one of the little mariners, Barry landed in the water but boy oh boy did I make sure that I didn't!

Third mode of transport was a yellow sea kayak, two man.  It was like getting from your VW Beetle into a VB Bus!  We had space, two paddles and a seat for Joshua on the back.  This is when I started having fun.  I loved every minute of this kayak.  All I wanted to do was kayak, so we did, all over the place.  My technique improved immediately, I was more relaxed about the water and it was so awesome to have a kayak partner like Barry.  Just his patience allowed me to gain confidence.  It's a sport/hobby that all three of us enjoy and will continue to enjoy on our travels.

We move onto our own little boat and had to lend a kayak from friends of ours.  Now this kayak was a machine!  Bright orange, wide base and loads of space for our little family, our laundry and our weekly shopping.  I was ready to kayak from our boat all the way to the mainland.  What a fantastic achievement for me personally.  After a few days I could feel how strong I was and how confident I had become compared to that first day on the jetty.  Kayaking to the mainland had to be done first thing in the morning when the sea and wind is calm.  Kayaking in the afternoon is not always the way to go, kayaking through high swells is pretty frightening and the rain doesn't help much either.

I have only fallen into the water 3 times in the last 8 months.  All three times involved a kayak.  On two occasions I was fully clothed and ready to go to town.  Both occasions were just as hilarious as the first.  Both right next to the boat.  And both times I had visions of big ugly creatures in the water below me.  Sailing across the seas is an amazing adventure, but there have been times where I have told myself, "you must be a crazy lady to be doing this!".

I now jump off the boat into the sea, I snorkel and I swim and I enjoy it.  If this trip has taught me anything, it was how to be comfortable in and around water.  I have snorkeled the most beautiful places around the Caribbean.  I have snorkeled in some pretty deep water too.  The sea life took my breath away!  I have spent time with dolphins, star fish bigger that your largest frying pan, pipe fish, rays, schools of fish, my list is endless.

My fear of big and deep water remains.  I have not 'conquered' my fear.  I just have confidence to be around water and in water.  It's all a head thing, which I can control as it is my head after all.  I do have one rule though, if I don't want to get in the water I simply wont. That way I will always be fine.

After all of the fun and laughter, sometimes tears of frustration, we will now be leaving the waters for a while.  It's time to get back onto land for me.  I am craving some time on solid ground.  On a bed that actually has fresh, clean sheets.  I want to cook a meal without moving from side to side and I want a good night's sleep, without worrying about a thing....


Thalassophobia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thalassophobia (Greekthalassa, "sea" and φόβος, phobos, "fear")[1] is an intense and persistent fear of the
sea. Thalassophobia is a clinical phobia generally classified underspecific phobias, fear of a single specific
panic trigger. Symptoms for thalassophobia are the same as for most specific phobias.

Although many people are nervous when on a ship, this phobia is not one of the most common. People with
Thalassophobia fear being in the large bodys of water. A common case of fear of the ocean is sometimes
 triggered by fearing the thought or sight of any creature under the depth of any body of water, not just
 directed toward oceans.
Many people with this phobia fear what lies beneath them, mostly sea creatures






No comments:

Post a Comment